• Welcome to Seattle Seahawks NFL Football Forum & Community!

Seahawks Huddle is one of the largest online communities for the Seattle Seahawks. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official GameDay Thread: Seahawks @ Chargers - 8/11 (Pre-Wk1): WIN 24-17

Reaction score
I have the game DVR'd. Haven't been home so I can't speak based off what I saw, but what I heard on the radio is early on they killed us on check downs again. We play too soft of a zone and their running backs gash us for a big gain.

Bob, not sure if by gashing your implying that they ran well on us, but that was not the case. We were pretty good against the run. Couple of nice tackles in the backfield, notably one where Curry laid the wood on a back and then Kam came in and wrapped him up. They did not get any first downs via the run btw.

Reaction score
No, I meant it sounded like early on Rivers and Volek would go through their reads, nothing would be there, so they'd check down to the RB and they would pick up pretty big chunks of yards after the catch. Which is exactly what they did to us last year in the Leon Washington game.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
I cannot believe I missed the game on ESPN!!! I swear the time between the lockout ending and the preseason starting has been measured in milliseconds. I'll look for highlights online.

My question is, who took over at QB after Whiteworst? How did they look? I am so far behind, the last news item I read said Seattle was thinking about Leinart and I just about put my head thru the computer. No more incest! At least Matt went to Tennessee, thank goodness. I'm surprised he didn't go the Rams the way these stupid trades have been the last several years.

Anyone catch Matt's first game, btw?

JustDoug

Huddler
Reaction score
Josh Portis: He didn't just look good all by himself either. The entire offense looked like they were using the same playbook as him. I haven't seen anything quite like it since Dave Kreig came to town. Third stringers...Sure! That just adds to the difficulty. RB Thomas Clayton is likely to make the art of roster cutting just a little more difficult as well.

On a different note: Minnesota's three point, one sack, less than 100 yards rushing performance doesn't scare me come next week either. Titans spooked me, and that was a surprise. Jake Locker had a 45 yard TD pass after a fumbled snap.

Bru-Hed

Huddler
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just after I posted, I read that Matt went 5 for 6 for 55 yards, then gave the game ball to the coach. Nice move.

I honestly hope he does well in Tennessee.

Not familiar with the "other" Portis. I usually grab one of those giant preseason mags like Lindy's to read up on everything but this year with the lockout, there was obviously a ton of stuff missing so not worth the $$$ to me.

Is there a SIMPLE site I can actually READ that has all our roster moves, trades/cuts and such? I don't need or want a bunch of video & audio, a thousand pop-ups, animations, colored text, cluttered photo backgrounds and all that crap. Just want to read "boring" names, numbers & text. (Hopefully a section here on SH?)

Thanks!

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Just after I posted, I read that Matt went 5 for 6 for 55 yards, then gave the game ball to the coach. Nice move.

I honestly hope he does well in Tennessee.

Not familiar with the "other" Portis. I usually grab one of those giant preseason mags like Lindy's to read up on everything but this year with the lockout, there was obviously a ton of stuff missing so not worth the $$$ to me.

Is there a SIMPLE site I can actually READ that has all our roster moves, trades/cuts and such? I don't need or want a bunch of video & audio, a thousand pop-ups, animations, colored text, cluttered photo backgrounds and all that crap. Just want to read "boring" names, numbers & text. (Hopefully a section here on SH?)

Thanks!
This might be what you're looking for: http://www.seahawkshuddle.com/threads/4737/

S

Seattlehawk94

IT'S ONE DAMNED GAME....

Chuckles is getting the same love he got last year in becoming Seattle's "Mr. August" from some people. and Portis? LOL...Portis lit it up against a 3rd and 4th team defense, doesn't make him the next Joe Montana....Every year a dude has a great preseason and is annointed as "the future"...TJack looked like he should, rusty...Doesn't mean he'll play that way during the season or even this week with more reps under his belt...

Reaction score
Not really. Tell me the relevance of the rest of the game after the starters sat... please. Tell me how that translates into regular season. Tell me how the 37 players that will get cut matter to this team. Yeah, theres always the chance you may find that one diamond in the rough that makes the cut and can contribute to special teams or work his way into a starting line up in a few years. But generally, undrafted rookies go undrafted for a reason.

Like I said, only the first few possessions that included the starters from both teams mattered. In the sense that it will translate into how the team might look come the regular season. Yeah they may have been a bit rusty, but I'm not just talking about stats and results. It was clear to just about anyone with half a brain that TJ does not look comfortable in the pocket, stares down, and runs after his first read is covered. Whether he's been with us for a week or with Minny for 5 years, that has not changed. Also, Okung got hurt... shows the guy cannot stay healthy, which will severally hamper this team and set the offense back. Who is going to play LT now??? Polumbus? HAA!

Ok, so throw in Rice, Williams and Obi... so TJ may get one more completion. Just cause those guys are better than Stanbach, Tate and Baldwin, that doesn't necessarily guarantee it will make TJ sooo much better. You can give him Fits, Andre Johnson and Greg Jennings and he may still suck balls. If someone is not gifted and smart enough to play QB it doesn't matter what talent you throw at them, they won't become what they are not. (see Arizona Cardinals 2010 QBs).

Now onto the defense, first off WHY THE HELL is Gus Bradley still our defensive coordinator??!! Our defense was better under John Marshall than its been with this guy the last 2 seasons!! I don't see why Pete is keeping him around?? Maybe its cause Pete is defensive minded and runs the defense himself and just keeps Bradley around as a formality... idk. But I don't like the guy and his Tampa 2 oriented defense. Its been around too long and teams have figured out how to exploit it. Why haven't we made even an attempt to duplicate what the Steelers and Packers run?? Obviously we are years away from the talent they have, but at least the Zone Blitz schemes they run are harder to figure out than a fucking cover 2...

And yes, Phillip Rivers and the Chargers have had way more continuaty on their offense, but they've still had about as much time to practice in since the lockout and they sure as hell didn't need the "1st game of preseason" excuse. Szat is right, Rivers threw to Jennings almost everytime.... but you know what, everybody knows what you get with Jennings, so that falls on the coaching staff for putting him in the game as a starter. It's not like they needed to see what he can do... they had all of last year and tapes from previous years. Yet they left him out there, fucking lemur looking douche bag!! They could've put Browner in or even one of the rookies Sherman or Maxwell. At least see how the young bucks do against top tier talent. I bet $$ Browner, at 6'4" would match up much better than Jennings. And Rivers would think twice about throwing that ball his way and risk getting it picked off. Trufant looked good, but he looks good every year until about week 3 then falls apart.

I do think the D line looked good against the run, and will improve once Red and Clemons are in. LBs looked good except for Hill giving up an easy TD to fat ass bowling ball Tolberts slow ass.

I don't think I am being premature at all, I am being a realist and you are being a happy go lucky overly optimistic typical Seahawk fan... the kind that were praising Charlie Whitehurst last year and telling us how "great" he is going to be.

POW

First off. Sweet mother of god, this could have literally been summed up into a single paragraph. haha

Yes, you are being premature, and yes you are being a overly realistic in a game that should have hardly any bearing as to the outcome of the overall season.

You absolutely cannot base an entire season off of a fraction of a performance. He's had about 5 days of an adjustment period. He would have shocked everyone had he actually performed well enough to the standards of todays general fanbase. There wasn't a single person in the world that was expecting much of anything more. And there's a reason why he only played as long as he did in that game.

Could he have done better? Absolutely. But I'm not going to jump ship on him simply because he didn't awe us with his talents in the first pre-season game of a shortened preparation period.

If you DON'T have the players around you, especially your weapons, then you're better off just kissing the ground on your own. Having Rice and Williams in there would have made his debut as a Seahawk more bearable. Not to mention you have an O-Line in there that has not played together once. Every single person in that line, that was their first time playing as a unit in a game situation.

There are so many factors that can lead to the lack of success on Jacksons part. If you blame it all on him, than maybe you're the uneducated football fan.

And as far as your Okung statement. I recall a 2-2 record right off the bat last season without him. Not to say that that is a great record by any means, but it's not the end-all-be-all without him.

S

Seattlehawk94

First off. Sweet mother of god, this could have literally been summed up into a single paragraph. haha

Yes, you are being premature, and yes you are being a overly realistic in a game that should have hardly any bearing as to the outcome of the overall season.

You absolutely cannot base an entire season off of a fraction of a performance. He's had about 5 days of an adjustment period. He would have shocked everyone had he actually performed well enough to the standards of todays general fanbase. There wasn't a single person in the world that was expecting much of anything more. And there's a reason why he only played as long as he did in that game.

Could he have done better? Absolutely. But I'm not going to jump ship on him simply because he didn't awe us with his talents in the first pre-season game of a shortened preparation period.

If you DON'T have the players around you, especially your weapons, then you're better off just kissing the ground on your own. Having Rice and Williams in there would have made his debut as a Seahawk more bearable. Not to mention you have an O-Line in there that has not played together once. Every single person in that line, that was their first time playing as a unit in a game situation.

There are so many factors that can lead to the lack of success on Jacksons part. If you blame it all on him, than maybe you're the uneducated football fan.

And as far as your Okung statement. I recall a 2-2 record right off the bat last season without him. Not to say that that is a great record by any means, but it's not the end-all-be-all without him.

A few things....

AMEN on TJack...It's one damn game....With barely ANY reps...

He's not "uneducated"...One knows his shit...Just passionate and young, which sometimes leads to impatience....Hell, I'm impatient as well but I'll give #7 some time to jell...

O-Klunk....He's not the end all as some make it seem....Dude isn't Jones, already proving that, when he PLAYS actually he could BECOME a Walt clone but until then he's just overrated and a bust....Yeah, I called him a BUST...Emtman was "good but injured alot" according to alot of people in Seattle...Sorry....Until you can play a full season without always getting hurt you are a bust in my book...Look at Greg Oden the basketball version of O-Klunk, you think people in Portland would rather have a GOOD center when he ACTUALLY PLAYS (never) or Kevin Durant? Some reason I think this is going to be O-Klunk's career....Good when he plays but you are going to look at guys taken after him and wish we had them...

As for stats, what guys look like, etc....People, it's the damn Preseason....Chill.....If #7 is doing this in Week 4, then bitch....If you actually think Chuckles is "good" because of what he did last week...Go back to threads from last preseason about "how great Chuckles is" and "Matt looks like shit" and then look at what most of you said after the Giants game....He's garbage, don't let a preseason game fool you..

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Jones had ankle problems in his first year, too. I see how good Okung already is. I just hope he shakes the ankle thing.

As for Jackson. I'm not a believer. Not at all. But I would love to be proven wrong.

OP
Fenom
Reaction score
Vincent Jackson's 47-yard Catch:

badcoverage1.jpg

badcoverage2.jpg

In the 2nd picture you can see that Pinkard goes over to help Kennard Cox cover a receiver in the middle of the field. You can also see the SS (Chancellor?) start to move toward the same receiver.

Idahawk

Reaction score
CW never got a chance , why should TJ be any different ?

He was the worst QB on the field in a system he should know and be comfortable in!

And he almost threw the ball up for grabs on that play he got the grounding call , he was pressing . I don't think he's mentally tough enough to handle the pressure, and after the Vikings...... he's damaged goods.

Peter King named Seattle the team most likely to draft Luck . That means first pick and that means worst record .

I would rather rebuild with a young QB then pretend like we made a smart move with TJ .

SeaHawksHuddle

Huddler
Reaction score
Yeah nice pics Fenom. So it wasn't ET (good), but still.

Also, I think Jackson is just an interim solution. We will have another QB competing for the starting spot next year.

Reaction score
CW never got a chance , why should TJ be any different ?

He was the worst QB on the field in a system he should know and be comfortable in!

And he almost threw the ball up for grabs on that play he got the grounding call , he was pressing . I don't think he's mentally tough enough to handle the pressure, and after the Vikings...... he's damaged goods.

Peter King named Seattle the team most likely to draft Luck . That means first pick and that means worst record .

I would rather rebuild with a young QB then pretend like we made a smart move with TJ .

A QB can be as comfortable as they want, it's the players that are around him that he needs to worry about.......

These are some of the most impulsive comments I've read..

You guys can call yourselves realists all you want, but there's a varying degree of difference between realism and just bold ass statements.

How's about we just play the "wait and see" game before everyone completely jumps the gun. Speculation is fine, but some of these comments are absolutely ridiculous..

S

Seattlehawk94

Peter King named Seattle the team most likely to draft Luck . That means first pick and that means worst record ..
Not really....Could mean we swing a huge trade for that pick....SF is WAAAAY more likely to finish with a worse record, and WAAAAY more likely to make a HUGE trade to go for Luck....Harbaugh's guy, don't see why Queen would say that....Then again, this is the same guy who puts stories about his fulgy daughter and her softball team on his NFL BLOG like any of us give a flying fuck...

Idahawk

Reaction score
I don't think Peter King meant it in the context of a trade . Basically Dan Patrick was asking him who would be the worst team this year , sorry to say were on that list and part of that reason is TJ and making that move to get him.
Obviously were rebuilding on both sides of the ball at the same time that usually doesn't work into a winning record .
Again I caught hell last year for asking that CW get a chance so let's not pretend this a different situation.

Reaction score
I don't think Peter King meant it in the context of a trade . Basically Dan Patrick was asking him who would be the worst team this year , sorry to say were on that list and part of that reason is TJ and making that move to get him.
Obviously were rebuilding on both sides of the ball at the same time that usually doesn't work into a winning record .
Again I caught hell last year for asking that CW get a chance so let's not pretend this a different situation.

No one is suggesting the Jackson is going to be an upgrade.. It's just hard to downgrade from what Hasselbeck gave us last season despite a few good games here and there.

Analysts last season considered the Seahawks to be the worst team in the division, and the 49ers to win it. Analysts have hunches. No definitive evidence. Don't read into it.

S

Seattlehawk94

Very different situation...Last year we were coming off a joke of a season with Moron Jr., this year we are coming off a playoff win and a team more than a few have had a year together....

Top Bottom